Aug 26, 2011

So long, farewell...

Our guest blogger today is Meghan Fleming.  Over the last year she has worked as one part of the two person intern team that it takes to simultaneously run the box office, create marketing materials, write press releases, book school shows, and act as an information hub for the theatre.   Today she sends us a fond farewell as she leaves LCT for new adventures:

Today is my last day as an intern here at LCT.  Wow, that’s really weird to say.  I honestly can’t image leaving this place and will miss it more that I can express in a single entry.  It hasn't really sunk in yet.  But I know on Monday, when I’m back in Georgia unpacking all my stuff and not sitting in the Box Office feverishly researching graphic design ideas, selling tickets for school shows, or anxiously awaiting the amazingly fun Arts Admin meeting at 3:30…it’ll hit me.  I’m not in Lexington anymore.  I’m not working with the outstanding, creative, and supportive staff of LCT.  I’m not going to get to hear all the children exclaim with such excitement about getting to come to the theatre, and tell us afterwards simply “That was a good show”.  After this realization there’s a good chance that I’ll cry.  But since I’m known for wearing my emotions on my sleeve, this won’t really surprise anyone who’s gotten to know me over the last year. 

I could look back and tell you about how I discovered the internship, or even tell a few funny stories during my time here like Ms. Lucy did a few weeks ago.  But I don’t think I could really do this experience any justice in that way.  How I got here isn’t so terribly interesting.  And what I’m leaving with is a bit too personal and close to my heart for me to share in this entry.  I think the best thing that I can say is simply “Thank you.”

Thank you for believing that I was the right person for this position.  Thank you for letting me live in this amazing city for a year.  Thank you for helping me to stumble through the growing pains of post-college life with a little dignity and grace still intact.  Thank you for surrounding me with some of the most talented and innovative people I’ve ever met.   Thank you for pushing me when I was hesitant, giving me a hug after a long day, kicking my butt when it needed kicking,  and making me laugh when I needed it most.  Thank you for letting me explore, create, imagine, and experiment.  Thank you for restoring my curiosity in the world around me.  Thank you for just being the amazing people and company that you are.  And finally…thank you for letting me be a part of it, even if just for a little while.  I know that all of the things I have learned here will help me continue into the next part of my journey wherever it will take me.  Walt Disney said it best:



I will miss you all and hope to see you soon!

Meghan Fleming
(Former) Arts Administration Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment