Sep 9, 2011

Hello Lexington!


I am Lacey Ruminer, the new Arts Admin Intern at Lexington Children's Theatre. I graduated in May from Arkansas Tech University with a BA in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. I am very excited to be in Lexington and working for LCT.

I have just about survived my first 2 weeks here at LCT! I have to admit that the first couple days were a little overwhelming. Standing in the Box Office on Monday morning watching the other Arts Admin Intern, Carrie, answer phones, send invoices, work on a magazine ad, and finish up a radio spot while trying to talk me through things was a little overwhelming. I caught myself wondering what I had gotten into. Thankfully those thoughts quickly started to fade and things are making a lot more sense. That is greatly due to the amazing staff here at LCT. Everyone has been so nice and welcoming. They understand that it might be a little overwhelming at first and reassured me that I didn't have to pick it all up in a day or two, which I don't think is humanly possible. 

I think one of the highlights of the first week was actually getting to sit in on one of the rehearsals of Old Jake’s Skirts, which is one of the shows that will be touring around to different schools this fall. Students came over from a school across the street to see the show and give the actors a chance to perform in front of an audience. The show is adorable and getting to hear the kids’ reactions was so great. It is amazing to see how even small jokes can get the kids rolling with laughter. Nothing can brighten your day better than the sound of lots of children laughing.

I want to say again how welcoming everyone has been. This is the farthest I have ever been from my home of Fort Smith, Ark, so I was a little worried about moving to a place where I knew absolutely no one. Those fears didn't last long though after meeting the other interns. As I was moving in and getting settled, random interns popped in to say hello and invite to me to the weekly Sunday potluck. I think I was invited to the potluck at least 5 times by different people. I guess the good thing about the way our jobs run is that at some point everyone was the new person and so they know what it feels like.

So as I said before, I have survived the first couple weeks and I am so excited to see what is to come! We have a great season and I am very happy to get to be a part of it!


Lacey
Arts Admin Intern

1 comment: