Aug 15, 2011

"DURING the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year..."

This morning as I left for the theatre, a familiar cool met me. The crisp in the air was a solid reminder that wish as I might, the summer season will soon draw to a close. Grade school students have returned to their classrooms, teachers have begun making plans for their schoolyear, and LCT welcomes a host of new intern arrivals as we prepare for the upcoming season. As much as I will miss the warm, lackadaisical days of summer bliss, I cannot hide my excitement for the fall.

Today, our tour actors arrived. At 9am, we were sitting around the board room listening to presentations from the designers for "Old Jake's Skirts" and "Tales of Edgar Allan Poe." As I have listened to these ideas and concepts start to come together, I grow increasingly more excited to see the final product-- which is saying something, because I'd never read "Old Jake's Skirts", and Poe never really fascinated me.

But to see how the costume designers are literally bringing Old Jake and Shoestring (his trust hounddog) to life is truly breathtaking. And then the set and props-- the beautiful woodstains and the intricacies of each prop. You have to see them to appreciate the time and effort and thought and inspiration that has gone into each and every piece. They're wonderful. It's such a heartwarming story. See the photo of Shoestring below.

And Poe. There really aren't words. Miss Vivian is bringing to life 3 of Edgar Allan Poe's most well-known stories, all the while interjecting moments from Poe's life and snippets from his other stories and poems. She has woven them together so wonderfully, and our designers have risen above and beyond the challenges set before them. Joscelyne described her costuming as "neo-gothic with a hat tip to the victorian era"-- and they are going to look so incredible! The set design manages to incorporate each of the three tales, while also providing a modernity to which audience members can relate. I literally got chills of anticipation thinking about how spine-tingling this production is going to be.

It's going to be a magical season here at Lexington Children's Theatre. While I am saddened to bid adieu to the warm weather and summer friends, I cannot deny that I am excessively enthused for the wonders this season will bring. Purchase your tickets soon -- this is going to be one wild, crazy, wonderful ride.

Winding rills and tingling chills,

Carrie
Arts Administration Intern



No comments:

Post a Comment